Anyway, I didn't email him back a few weeks ago because we were exchanging these looooooooong emails and I didn't have time that week. He later wrote me on a Friday night asking for a last minute coffee or drink date on Saturday night, but I wasn't in town. I wrote back and apologized a few days later, but then I caught up with work and other things, and have yet to draft a novella in response to his last email. If I were interested, I'm sure I would have; however, his lengthy, slightly arrogant (?) emails, the fact that he lives a few hours away, and my personal opinion that he wasn't all that cute in his photos, resulted in me just putting it off. I suppose I had already decided I wasn't interested. I certainly didn't mean to be rude or ignore him, but time just got away from me. I suppose that's why today he sent me this:
Hey Blaire,
Hope you've had a good, if probably hectic, last couple of weeks. Gotta say it's too bad you let this go. I was looking forward to cooking dinner with you, testing those vaunted skills of yours. Anyhow, I used to let things fade away, but now try not to...so it was really was a pleasure getting to know you briefly, and wish you the best. Enjoy Hawaii.
Take care,
berry guy
See what I mean? Who uses the word "vaunted" in a random email? I just found it aggravating. Do I really care? No, not really - I am not interested in dating him or taking the effort to get to know him from afar, his attitude is off-putting, and he doesn't seem to be my type physically. Does this still bother me? Yeah, to an extent. I just don't understand the passive-aggressive thing. If we had met in person and dated a bit and I just blew him off, that would be one thing, but this was an Internet connection that never got past 4 or 5 emails so if it disappears, it disappears. Hell, one of the guys I went on two pretty good dates with from eharmony just never called me back, and did I call or email him with some passive aggressive crap? Nope. Nature of the online dating beast.
Which brings us back to why I quit eharmony.
that's right, I'm posting a comment on my own damn blog - what's it to ya? In re-reading berry guy's email, I realize that I came off harsh and mean. His email seems so sweet and nice. What it doesn't convey is the full-fledged over-zeaous attitude and sense od hippy condescending nature this guy seemed to have, which is really what rubbed me the wrong way. I have to say, though, that reading it after some time has passed lets me think of this as a nice farewell gesture, rather than an f-you (which is how I took it at first), and since I have been completely blown off by so many so-called "men" and left without a goodbye or sorry it didn't work out, I should be grateful. So thanks for that, at least, berry guy.
ReplyDelete