Not that I had a big problem with 2008 or anything, but it's just so easy to wrap everything up into a little package, call it "last year," and move on. The beginning of another year lends itself to potential, to possibilities, and to moving on.
The good parts of 2008 were really good - I scored my dream job; my sister and brother in law moved back to California; a handful of good friends got engaged, others married. However, the low points were, of course, low. My great grandma and my cousin both passed away; I bought a new car and then got in an accident several weeks later; some guys were complete schmucks to me.
But that's the thing about the "new year." It gives one the ability to reflect on a snippet of time in one's life, and think about all that happened, good and bad. It's rare to have the time or motivation to pause and reflect, but ringing in a new year is an opportunity to do so. Moreover, it's an opportunity to let bygones be bygones, and cherish the good times from the past year (and beyond).
So although I'm confident that I'll still have many more misadventures, I am trying to put a more positive spin on things. I have swept the low points of 2008 out of my mind (at least to the point of dwelling on them; they'll always be there, of course) and am moving forward with positivity, new focus, and resolve.
I'm not one for New Year's resolutions, but I plan to continue my current mellow lifestyle, doing the best I can at work, spending as much time as possible with my family and friends, and--possibly most importantly--not beating myself up. That is probably the biggest "resolution" I can make, and I hope I can stick to it.
So the past has passed, and I won't likely highlight those misadventures via this blog, but I know there are more worthy adventures in my future. My two close friends from law school are getting married, and I get to be part of it - I couldn't be happier. Plus, I am heading up to Seattle and Whistler next week for some R&R and catching up with friends. I am visiting my grandma this weekend, and have a birthday coming up that I get to spend with my sister. I've been talking to a guy who actually isn't a schmuck. It's really all very, very good.
No comments:
Post a Comment